Republican Lawmaker Fights for Decriminalization of Cannabidiol Oil

Curtis Howell PURE CBD Leave a Comment

An Alabama state lawmaker hopes to decriminalize Cannabidiol (CBD) oil so that it can be used to treat conditions like epilepsy.

Representative Mike Ball (R-Madison) is sponsoring a bill called “Leni’s Law,” inspired by the little girl in this picture.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but Representative Mike Ball has no words for this moment.

“It’s like me and Leni, we just went to a different place together.”

Someone took this photo just moments after Carly’s Law passed in 2014. Representative Ball is holding 2-year-old Leni Young, who had a massive stroke right before being born and now suffers from epilepsy and a form of cerebral palsy.

Her family though the UAB study of CBD oil would be Leni’s saving grace, but they were devastated to find out she didn’t qualify.

“I wish Leni had had that opportunity, but she didn’t. So we had to go with plan A or B,” her mother Amy Young said.

That plan was uprooting the entire family and moving to Oregon. Since last August Leni has been taking three small doses of CBD oil every day. The transformation was immediate.

“Within a couple of hours we noticed that she could focus on things further away from her. She could see,” Young said.

Leni went from having dozens of seizures a day to having just one every 4-6 weeks. It was when Young posted a video of Leni sitting up and watching Frozen that she heard from Representative Ball.

“When I saw the video, I just knew it’s time to do something else now,” he said.

That inspired Leni’s Law, aimed at decriminalizing CBD oil. Representative Ball believes he has the support to get it passed. And the Youngs are grateful to him for fighting this battle.

“His love for her and us is genuine,” Young said.

Some of the other families supporting Leni’s Law plan to speak at the legislative forum Monday from 7-9 p.m. in the Huntsville City Council chambers.

For more information on qualifying for PATIENT DIRECT, Contact Mr. John Hamilton (617) 930-9959 or visit the website at

Leave a Reply